Saturday, March 21, 2009

Excerpt from The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen:

"But now a time has come when it is possible to look back on those years of turmoil and to describe, with more objectivity than was possible before, the place to which all of that struggle has brought me. I am still not free enough to let myself be held completely in the safe embrace of the Father. In many ways, I am still moving toward the center. I am still like the prodigal: traveling, preparing speeches, anticipating how it will be when I finally reach my Father's house. But I am, indeed, on my way home."

* This is taken from the Prologue of the book where Henri Nouwen is describing his spiritual journey and the impact that the story and especially the painting of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt had on his journey to be fully embraced in the arms of the Father. I deeply understand Nouwen's combination of desire and fear of this intimate connection. This is a wonderful book that places ourselves in the shoes of the younger son, the older son, and the father.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page