Tuesday, June 12, 2007

CROATIA TRIP

So, I have been back from Croatia almost a week now and have had a little time to process the trip. It has been a little difficult to process with all that is going on here with my mom, but O have managed to fit time in to process between being at the hospital and watching tv (going overseas is horrible if you ever want to be productive ever again in the U.S. TV is really entertaining and there is always so much going on in tv peoples' lives that I never want to miss watching them).

There was a lot that went on and I know that I won't write about most of it. Some of the highlights were a trip to Sarajevo to visit John and a trip to southern Croatia with my buddy Dario. Both were great in different ways. The trip to Sarajevo was mainly focused around food and pictures. Bosnia is famous for its cevapcici (fabulous, tasty little meat fingers) and has great burek (meat pie) and kebap (amazing Turkish meat sandwich) - notice a theme around meat - John should be proud of me. The picture focus was all about the "John and Andy's" (blog here). And for those of you thinking that "John and Andy" was dead, think again!

The trip to southern Croatia was mainly focused around having fun and hanging out with my buddy Dario, who's a recent graduate from the University of Rijeka. We went to the cities of Zadar, Sibenik, Split, Primosten and Trogir. All of these places were amazing in their own ways, but my favorites were Zadar and Trogir. In the next few days, I'll put up pictures and explain more about these cities. Both nights we stayed with Dario's grandparents in a small town called Jezera. They were so nice and blessed us so much. We ate like kings! I was even made fun of because I couldn't finish my plate (if you've ever seen me, you would know that this was a feat).

Other highlights were hanging with friends (especially meals with Zoran and coffee dates with my ladies), talking with the summer project guys, seeing so many friends at my goodbye party, and just walking around the smelly, dirty city I learned to love. One of the funny, horribly ironic things was I think I used and learned more Croatian on this trip than I had in the previous six months I lived there before.

It was definitely a nice way to say goodbye to the friends I love and the city I grew and experienced so much in. I went back to Rijeka to gain closure and completion in my time there, and thank God, I got exactly what I needed. I can honestly say that this chapter in my life is complete (not that I will never go to Croatia again). Thank you, Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy! Sounds like you had a crazy time in Croatia. I am just now reading your blog for the first time, but I am going to go back and read through a few more of your posts. I can only imagine what the culture shock was like going back. We get a few american shows here luckily, mainly CSIs and a few shows from CBS. I can only imagine the crazyness of returning. I went to Hawaii a few months in to my stint here and it was so shocking seeing so many white people and everything was SO expensive. Hope you are doing well and take a look at my blog

www.guatemalanadventures.blogspot.com

 
Locations of visitors to this page