Monday, November 13, 2006

This last weekend, my team and I were in Bohinj, Slovenia for a weekend of relaxation and celebrate what God has done in the time we have been here. As I was sitting by the lake reading and drawing, I started processing more of my last two months in Croatia. One of the things that came to mind was all the stuff involving my mom back in Oregon City. As I was sitting there I started writing…


This is written almost two months after my mom got sick and went to the hospital for the first time. It is still hard for me at times to think of. I want to be there and care for her. I don’t question my being here and I know this is exactly where I must be to be in God’s will. I don’t even think that I would choose home over here right now… but it has still been hard.

My natural reaction to people that are sick is to be there and care for them. This is a good reaction. I know that if I had been home, that is exactly what I would have done. I would have been at the hospital. I would have missed work or classes to be there. But I have realized that this would have been the wrong first reaction. God has definitely been teaching me through this. In a big way. Since I am so far away and cannot be there, the only thing I can do is pray. I use the term “only” very loosely here, because I know there is a lot of power in prayer. I believe that my prayers for comfort and healing for my mom moved God to act. I know that my prayers for comfort and peace for my dad and sisters and others moved God to act. And He did.

So, with the knowledge that my mom was sick, I prayed. I didn’t want to at times, because I was scared and angry, but I still prayed. My team prayed, other Christians in Croatia prayed, I told students about it, which moved me to pray. My mom is better now and she is continuing to get better because God moved and healed her. Even in the midst of this frustrating and scary circumstance, God provided. People were praying for me and I felt it.

It is still hard being away, but it is easier now. Thank God that my mom is better and thank God that He continues to teach me each day.


It was interesting sitting there and thinking about all this. I know I have been so blessed to know that God answers those prayers and provides exactly what we need. I know there are a lot of people back home that have been praying for me and wondering how I have been doing with this all. So, know that it is only God that has provided for me to be at this point with these thoughts. Thanks for you prayers. They have meant more than any of us really understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you. Thanks - to God, to you, and to all those who have been praying. Mom

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Thanks for trusting God and his plan for you. Mother's are VERY precious.
I would imagine that all the locals could relate to the love of/for mom.
Praise God that you have stepped out in faith to live and experience God's will for you and CCCI! Say Hi to the team!
Chris

 
Locations of visitors to this page