Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I used to like Dell


This is my computer to the right; a Dell. During the summer I noticed that there were some new interesting (i.e. grinding) sounds coming from my computer. Not good! I ignored it for a while until last week when my computer just stopped working. This is not a good thing since my computer is the main form of communication while being here in Croatia.

With the help of a few friends here (thanks again Dario and Zoran) I ran a diagnostics test and it was confirmed that something was up; mainly with my hard drive. One good thing was I had backed up most of what I had on my computer on an external hard drive I own. The problem I had was with the above word "most". I did not have a backup of my supporter list. Obviously, this is important for me to have since I use this to send newsletters to supporters.

With a little luck and mostly God performing a miracle, I pulled my hard drive out with Zoran and we were able to recover most of the information I wanted and all that I needed. Praise God!

Last wednesday, I contacted Dell and told them my situation. One very nice (and unfortunately clueless) employee told me after being on the phone for almost two hours that I would get my hard drive in three to five business days. Alright, good news, right? I was told by her that I would get a confirmation e-mail that I could use to track my package.

Saturday rolls around and I have not received either the package or e-mail, so I start to ponder what might be happening. I call Dell again. This time I talk to four people over a period of maybe two more hours. I was starting to get more and more frustrated because I kept getting different responses and I kept having to spell out my address to them, which is not an easy task. Finally, the fourth person I talked to informed me that the department I needed to talk to and had been calling all this time (international service) was closed for the weekend, had been all this time, and will not open until monday morning. Ahhhhhh, great news. Another two hours wasted.

Monday comes along and I call Dell in the afternoon here to talk to someone. I get a hold of a very nice man who confirms my questioning that he works for the international service center for Europe. I explain my situation and am informed that in Dell's eyes, Croatia is not in the service zone. Great, another thing I want to hear. I ask what is available to be done. After talking to three different managers, I am informed by my service guy that there is really nothing that can be done except send it to my home in Oregon and then have them send it to me via the mail. The mail options are either extremely slow or extremely expensive. Two choices that are not ideal in this situation since I need to use my computer and I am a missionary that doesn't make very much money.

We are having at least one Crusade staff come over here in about a month, so I decided to wait and have the hard drive sent to her when the visit is confirmed. She can bring it over and take my old one back and send it to Dell. So, at lease I will get my hard drive sometime before Thanksgiving. Kind of good news...

Zoran had informed me that he had an extra hard drive that I could borrow if I wanted until mine came. I took him up on that opportunity. We have gotten my computer up and running with the use of his hard drive and borrowed software. My thanks to Zoran, but I have held back thanks to Dell for their considering Croatia out of their service area. Hopefully I will not have to add anymore to this saga, since adding more will entail more trouble with Dell.

And if you are wondering,
I still ask myself "why did I ignore the grinding sounds?"

1 comment:

Matt Mikalatos said...

I think that computer picture is on my left. But I could be wrong, I get confused with the international dateline and all that.

 
Locations of visitors to this page