Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Mysteries of Signs - part 1


Location: Novi Vinodolski, Croatia.

I understand that signs in other countries can often be misinterpreted and cause humor for the casual visitor. For even greater enjoyment, this is a two parter.

Part 1

Ok, look at the top sign. What is this trying to communicate? Watch out for out-of-control wheelchairs rolling into the water? Handicapped people jumping into the water? I really don't know. I guess it is just a mystery. Feel free to post your ideas.


Part 2

Now lets look at the bottom one a little more carefully. Below I have included a useful piece of information in the picture. Notice the sign. I concure that the "W.C" must mean "wheel chair". That part is clear. I also notice the arrow pointing upward. That is interesting! So, what this is saying is that the wheelchaired people have to go up a hill to get somewhere unspecified. Another interesting question: What is up this special hill that only wheelchairs can go?

The most important thing to note is the path I have so carefully included in the picture below. If you look to the path, you will notice a small bump made of concrete. Interesting! Upon further inspection, this is not just a bump, but actually a series of small steps all along this path.

So, lets recap... The person in the wheelchair must go up the hill over the many small steps in pea gravel, I might add, in order to get to the special place designated for them.


3 comments:

zoran said...

I honestly think this is amazing. How in the world you managed to post before I even got home is beyond my comprehension.

Good work. Waiting anxiously for the purse post.

Laura said...

So, this is Laura in Alaska and I've got some idea about the WC on the sign. I think its probably meaning a bathroom. WC=Water Closit= bathroom. Just an idea. Thanks for making me laugh so hard. Keep up the work in Croatia!

Taylor said...

Yeah, Andy. Where's the purse post? :)

 
Locations of visitors to this page